The CardEngine framework is an add-on to the Godot game engine which provides basic functionality to develop card based games. Like Godot it comes under the MIT license, and the source code is available on GitHub. The main goal of this project is to provide a good amount of flexibility while not requiring a lot of code to be written. With it you can create games inspired by Hearthstone, or Slay the Spire.
NOTE: the framework is still in very early stage, expect things to not function out of the box and everything is subject to change.
- Flexible card Library database using JSON: CardEngine rely on a basic data structure from where developers are free to customize.
- Flexible card design using the Godot scene graph: CardEngine offers a WYSIWYG approach, without the need of writing code, to design cards.
- Card animation framework: CardEngine provides a convenient way to animate cards using a single function call.
- Animated Hand widget: CardEngine provides a UI control to manipulate cards as they would be in the player's hand.
- Animated Grid widget: CardEngine provides a UI control to display cards in a grid compatible with ScrollContainer.
- Multiple containers to manipulate cards: CardEngine provides a Deck, a Pile and a Hand containers to help implement game logic.
- Integrated RNG sub-system: CardEngine comes with its own pseudo-random generator to give greater flexibility to the developer.
CardEngine comes with a demonstrator for the features above. It allows developers to quickly look if the framework fits their needs and also as an example on how to use it. For more information: click here.
To learn how to start using CardEngine, please consult the official documentation.